I have had a lot of questions regarding my technique for Polaroid Emulsion lifts so I thought I would do a post to clarify. Firstly I use Impossible Project 600 film as the Polaroid film is no longer available. I scan my negatives and then use an Impossible Project instant lab to project the image to the film. With black and white I leave it to develop for ten minutes and then begin the lift process.
I cut around the image and then submerge it in cold water.
Then I quickly and carefully peel the back off. I find it's important to do this all quickly because the Emulsion is more prone to tearing the longer it is submerged in water.
I then let the Emulsion and front layer sit in the cold water until the Emulsion begins to get wrinkly. Then carefully peel the Emulsion off and let it float in the water ready for whatever receptacle the final image will be placed on. With paper I then put the paper in the water and remove the Emulsion layer on the paper and straighten it out with a small paint brush. This last step takes time as it can be slowly uncurled as the image dries.